Sunday, 17 January 2016

Butterfly Tag

Hello to you all on this snowy Sunday afternoon.

Having recently bought last year's Tim Holtz Distress Inks, I've been spending some time looking on Pinterest and at videos on YouTube to see the different techniques that can be done with them  It's made me realize that although I have lots of them, I don't ever do much with them, other than the very basics and so I'm going to try and be a little more adventurous, starting from today!  Here's a tag that I've made:

I've seen lots of cards and tags using the Tim Holtz butterflies but sadly I don't have the stamp so I thought that I'd create my own version using some stamps that I bought from 'The Works' yesterday while my Hubby and I were shopping in York.

I started by screwing up a tag and the rubbing it over with Tea Dye Distress ink, then I spritz it with water which caused the ink to bleed.  I used a heat gun to dry it before straightening it with my hair straighteners (I know this isn't the conventional method but they were close to hand and they do a great job really quickly.) I used Ground Espresso to add some script onto the background and then I heat embossed a gold swirl to give it a little contrast.  I sponged around the edges, first with Tea Dye, then Cracked Pistachio and then with Peacock Feathers.

I stamped three of the butterflies with StazOn and them coloured them with the same inks that I've used for the background and just added a little Carved Pumpkin.  I then cut them out and used clear embossing powder to make the colours pop.  I arranged them on the tag and then added the words which I cut out from part of another stamp.  I used a black ribbon to finish which I melted with my heat gun to give the curled effect.

To say that the stamps I bought yesterday were a bargin is an understatement, take a look:



I'm entering this tag into the following challenges:

21 comments:

  1. Fab tag Sandma and great use of your ink pads, think we are all guilty of getting into a rut with our crafting. What a bargain those stamps are, get some good buys at the Works, just have to be there at the right time as they are soon gone .

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - the stamps were a definite bargain and you've made a beautiful tag with them. Hope you have lots of fun practicing your DI ink techniques.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tag Sandma and those stamps where a great bargain
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such detail in the background. Lots of tips and tricks (especially the straighteners!!). Love how you've created dimension and so much interest in that background. I keep looking at it and then seeing more. Great bargain with those stamps. Keep using those distress inks...looking forward to admiring more of your fabulous creations x Off now to find my straighteners xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful tag, lots of wonderful layers and wow you did scoop up a bargain! Happy Sunday, Shirleyxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely tag Sandma a I like how you've used your inks. What an amazing bargain you got and the butterflies are beautiful. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are some very useful looking stamps in that set Sandra and a great tad using them, I can see you will be using these a lot in your creations.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a stampset you will use often! And the fag looks good in those colors! Enjoy the sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! What a wonderful mixed media tag! Love the colors and the sweet butterflies! Loved your Northern Lights card last week too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sandma, Love this mixed media tag, great colours and stamping, like you I do not use my inks enough! wow them stamps are a bargain.
    Hugs Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The butterflies look good on the background
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my word - this is beautiful! I'm another one who needs to use my DI's more - and this really has inspired me as the background is wonderful. And the butterflies are fabulous - what a bargain! Lovely to see you back in the Playground - I guess that means no-one nipped you or pulled your hair :)

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't stop I'm off out the door to The Works to get those stamps. Do you think if I knock really loud they will open up just for me!! Lol. I like the sound of your tag you certainly put it through it's paces. Love the result. I'm another one who does the bare minimum with my inks which is why I chose inks for the letter I. Love the butterflies. The colouring is gorgeous. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful tag Sandma, such a fabulous background and lovely details.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I must say I love how you used your hair-dressing skills to come up with this delightful tag, Sandma!! I can't wait to see where else your new adventurous spirit takes you!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a bargain! I've never seen stamps at the Works before...
    The butterflies are well coloured and look fantastic against the subtle background. I use my straighteners on ribbon sometimes too, anything to do the job really!
    Thanks for joining us this month at Vintage Stamping Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You might not have the stamps from Mr T but this tag, made with the bargain stamps, looks amazing.

    Crafting is all about creating something with what you have and using your imagination to experiment and have fun. You have certainly done that with this make. Love it.

    Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
    ShirlsCards.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous Sandma! I love the contrast of the dark butterflies and ribbon against the soft neutral background! Glorious tag! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous tag Sandra, love the background. Your stamps were certainly a bargain and a great substitute for Tim's original and probably more versatile.
    Hugs, Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous tag ! Thank you for playing with us at the Artistic Stamper's January challenge

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my blog Your comments are very much appreciated :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...