Sunday, 21 February 2016

Playing With Mixed Media

Hello,

I hope you're all enjoying a peaceful Sunday afternoon and I'd like to welcome my new follower.....Lynne K.

I'm here today to share with you something that's completely new to me.  I've been in absolute awe recently; looking at some pieces of mixed media art work. I've watched lots of tutorials on Youtube and I've created a new board on Pinterest to give me some inspiration.

Whilst shopping in York yesterday, I came across some 5x7 inch canvas boards and decided that I would bite the bullet. As I had quite a few flowers that I had previously made up, I decided that would be a good start. I didn't have a plan so it was all trial and error! My intention was to layer it up and add some stamping but that just didn't happen.  Here's the canvas as I left it to dry last night:


I was actually quite pleased with the result and was quite temped to just leave it as it was, but this morning, I was ready to have a go at giving it some colour.  I really love the dramatic, vivid colours that are used in mixed media but I though I would start with something a little more delicate, given the subject and here is the finished result:


What I can say is that I've learned many lessons whilst making this first piece, like painting the flowers and leaves before they are added, using the gilding wax on the die cut before adding the flowers, and the list goes on.  I did try spraying but I only have a few Starburst stains and they didn't seem to work as I wanted them to.

The thing  I love about crafting is that it is a journey and we all have to start somewhere.
Thank you for your visit today and I look forward to your comments and any hints or tips that might help me in future.  I may not be around for a while as my craft room looks like it's been hit by a bomb and I can't find my desk lol :)

I'm entering this mixed media piece into the following challenge and I've definitely used lots of snippets:

Pixie's Snippets Playground - Week 217

16 comments:

  1. But isn't it a WONDERFUL journey Sandra? This canvas is so gorgeous. I think it works both ways (with and without the colour). TOP MARKS.

    Thanks for dropping by the Snippets Playground with this lovely creation.
    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's gorgeous Sandra and works both it just what you or anyone else prefer.

    gr karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning. I knew you'd be a natural. The only way is up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often think it's good yo leave a piece and return later as we see it in a totally different light and I agree the addition of the colours makes for a really dramatic fish. Lovely piece Sandra.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your canvas is absolutely stunning Sandra. It sounds great fun. I really must bite the bullet soon and have a go. It's beautiful work and I love the flowers you've made. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandma, I just popped back to return your visit and to thank you for the lovely comment you left... and my first reaction when I saw your canvas was Wow. It really is stunning and I would have never guessed it was your first attempt.

    As for my granddaughter, well I would love to be able to give her loads of big cudddles but unfortunately they live in Australia so for the moment I have to be content with photos xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. As someone who just watches mixed media from the sidelines, I can tell you I am thoroughly impressed with your first effort, Sandma!! If I hadn't read your post, I would think it was a work of art made by someone who has done mixed media for a long time! It's gorgeous!! And way to go tackling something new!! You are an inspiration that way! Enjoy your day! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's what I call mixed media. Loved the two versions of your canvases. Yes it's great, fun and messy to try different 'styles' and Yes we all have to start somewhere and you've made a magnificent and fabulous start...you just keep going and for your first attempt it is very creative, beautiful and fabulous and you really wouldn't realise this was your first time. One clever and inspirational lady and I am very grateful for that x Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such kind, positive and encouraging comments. X You really do look like you enjoy your crafting x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The elements work beautiful on your MM-piece! It is fun to start a new journey and I think this is a fun one for you!Wish you as much fun for the next one and looking forward to see the result! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sandma
    This is stunning love those flowers... Beautiful...
    Hugs Sylvie xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Sandra, what a fabulous first mixed media canvas, you've really made a beautiful piece of art, love the flowers, the gilding and all the layers.

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well you have made a stunning canvas Sandma, I too love this media messy grunge.. determined to have a go one day. Well done..
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant work, Sandra, "I dips me lid to you", you really cracked it!!!!
    I wouldn't know it's your first.
    I love it all and what fun you had in the process well done!!

    Thanks for sharing your "I would've or should've " tips too,
    Hugs, Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous Sandma!! I love the use of the die cut to create texture in the background, and your flower arrangement is just stunning! Amazing colours, and the gold accents...icing on the cake!! Love it! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow gorgeous mixed media textured collage. I love it. I also enjoying playing with textures and haven't been into it as much lately. Take care, Shirleyxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep you sure do make pretty cards and your canvas is awesome!!!!
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my blog Your comments are very much appreciated :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...