Sunday, 18 September 2016

My Mixed Media Book Box

Hello there my Crafty Friends, I hope to find you all well and happy today :)

I have a few new followers....... Leanne, Mary Cheryl, Maggie, Bobbie, Anne, Ria, Karen and Stephanie and I would like to 'Hello' to you all and thank you for joining me on my crafting journey. I have tried to find out if you all have blogs but without much success, so if you do have one, then please leave me a comment and let me know so that I can pay you a visit in return and update this post with a link.

Right then, moving onto crafty things :)

On my last visit to Inkylicious, Darren, Deby's husband was busy making lots of different projects with his new laser cutter and he was kind enough to give me an MDF Book Box that he'd just made. This post is to show you how my project progressed.

I'm really new to mixed media, having only done a couple of canvas' before, so the box sat in my craft room for a few weeks until I felt inspired enough to have a go at decorating it. So this is how the story goes:

This is the box as it was made and given to me by Darren, so the first thing that I did was to give it a coat of black acrylic paint.  I don't have any Gesso, so I hoped that this would be okay and it was.  It was a tube that wasn't very expensive that I had purchased from 'The Works' but it covered perfectly, without the need for a second coat.


The faux hinges, lock and clock stencil were given to my by Deby and Emma, so thank you to you both as I think they all worked beautifully together.  It's the first time I've used the clock stencil and I made a batch of embossing paste to use with it to give the project some dimension.  I've seen lots of clocks used on mixed media, so I thought i'd give it a go.  The other pieces of white that you can see on the picture are Tim Holtz die cuts that I stuck on.  The last thing that I did here was to add some braiding to the top and bottom of the box.  This was something that I picked up in a charity shop years ago and it's the first time I've used it.


The next thing was to cover the whole project with a second coat of black acrylic. I think you can see it starting to take shape now :)


I then dabbed on various colours of acrylic paint and blended them slightly with a screwed up ball of cling film, and then with the flat part of my fingers. Di, if you're reading this it was......VERY, VERY MESSY.  I think at this point that you just have to embrace the mess and release your inner child!


As I wanted a nice metallic look to the book, I then covered the colours with a bronze acrylic paint


.After letting the whole thing dry, I then used gold gilding wax to highlight the clock and all of the other part that you can see are gold.  The frame inside the clock face ia an MDF shape that I painted with bronze acrylic and I stamped and Inkylicious sentiment on the inside of it.  


Just the finishing touches to add now and so I made some roses which I covered with black acrylic and then used Cosmic Shimmer UTE powder on them whilst they were still wet. I added three coat of the embossing powder which left the roses rock hard.  I was really pleased with the result at it means that the roses are much more robust than they would have been if I had just left them as they were. The black Ivy was made using a Memory Box Die.


So there is is, my mixed media book box. It does actually look much better in real life, unfortunately, the photo doesn't do it justice. I'm not sure I would have ever done something like this if I hadn't have been given the Book Box, so many thanks to Darren, Deby and Emma at Inkylicious for believing that I might do something wonderful with it.

Take good care of yourselves and Happy Crafting x

I'm entering this project into the following challenges:





27 comments:

  1. Wowzer Sandra, this looks amazing. What a stand out piece of work. It's great seeing every stage. I LOVE it. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvellous mixed media project. Love the techniques and the glorious colours you've used. Amazing and you really should do more mixed media as you are a natural x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Wow Sandra this is fantastic, what a makeover. Thank you for the photos showing each stage that you did. Will be looking out for these on the Inkylicious website in the near future.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have created a stunning book box! It's wonderful! I enjoyed seeing some of your beautiful art at Alexandra Palace yesterday. I have put some photos on my blog. I was tempted by one of those fabulous book boxes, but I had spent my pennies on some lovely Inkylicious stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just fabulous Sandra, love all the elements and the gold gilding really brings out the shapes, I would never have thought of making black roses but they are stunning


    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely seeing the step by step photos as you progressed to your finished project Sandra and what a glorious piece it is as well with so much depth and texture.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is brilliant, Sandra! An amazing transformation of the blank box. Love it!

    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This a wonderful project and well worth getting messy I'd say - brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fabulous alteration Sandra, love the colour with the gold highlights and the black roses are stunning.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG other Sandra this is fantastic, especially for someone new to mixed media, fabulous colours and design, the texture is brilliant, just love it Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, this is absolutely stunning!! The colors and texture are amazing!! You did such a fabulous job with it!! I love, love this!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful box. I love all the details and enjoyed seeing the photos of how you progressed through the decoration of it. Great use of snippets too. Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It turned out into a beautiful old looking book and invites to let your fingers go over it! (souch a pitty that isn't possible for me...) Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Sandra! What a fabulous MM project and I love the step by step! Clever you, I picked up a few tips along the way as well :)

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sandra,
    what a very super Mixed Media project.
    Your work is very lovely.
    You definitely have a telent for this type of work also.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The layers of colors and textures really made this project looks WOW! Thank you for joining STAMPlorations September Mixed Media Challenge and for a chance to win is to display STAMPlorations MM CHallenge graphic on this post too! See you next time Sandra.
    Hugs and smiles,
    Asmah
    STAMPlorations Mixed Media Design Team
    Qinaahana Arts & Crafts {My Personal Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my oh my hun my favourite type of,craft lots of paint grunge colours and oh love all the pictures you have shown us along the way hun its really stunning such texture and dimension,love this to bits,my friend love big hugs Cherylxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks wonderful. I am about to do something similar and so thanks for the tips. Just wondered about the colours and then going over them - did you change your mind or do they affect the end result?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linby, as this was only my second attempt at Mixed Media, it was all just absolute trial and error. I thought that some of the colours might show through but it did end up that most of them were covered by the bronze paint, so I suppose that you could skip the coloured paint bit and the result would still be similar and probably a lot less messy. This is a whole new ball game for me and way out of my comfort zone but I'm enjoying the journey :). Good luck with the piece that you're making and I look forward to seeing the results soon. Sandra X

      Delete
    2. Thanks for replying. L x

      Delete
  19. Superb project Sandra. Fab texture and aged effect.
    Flo x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow Sandra this is wonderful! I always forget that things don't have to match 'cos you just paint over them anyway! I love your black roses the embossing powder really gives them a gothic look. Have a fun week xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. love the leather look and all the texture that you added - thanks for sharing your beautiful project at the STAMPlorations Mixed Media Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful project, I love the leather look as well and the textures. The embellishments and die cuts are perfect. Cheers xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a beautiful project!!!! Thanks for playing along with us at STAMPlorations Mixed Media Challenge this month!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW this looks beautiful. WONDERFUL!!!
    Hugs Carola

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my blog Your comments are very much appreciated :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...