Tuesday, 31 January 2017

Hearts and Flowers

Hello there,

It was lovely surprise to have this card of mine 'In the Spotlight' for January 16 at 'Try it on Tuesday' when the Design Team chose some of their favourite cards for 2016.  I then had another lovely surprise when I was asked if I would like to be a Guest Designer for one of their challenges and I was thrilled to accept. The challenge is 'Hearts and Flowers' and here's what I've made:



As you can see from the photo below, this little box started out life as a little sewing box.  It's one that I've had a while but haven't got round to decorating it, so this seemed like my perfect opportunity.

 

As Spring is hopefully just around the corner, I decided to use Spring colours.  I thought the best way to approach this was to create my focal image first and then to colour the box afterwards using similar colours.  The image is the 'I love Paris' stamp by Stampendous.  It's one that I've had for a long time but it'd definitely a firm favourite.  I used a little Memento Dandelion in the center and then dusted around the outside with Purple Twilight and Eggplant. I coloured the flowers using a Spectrum Noir pink and the stamped them again a couple of times so that I could decoupage them to give them a little dimension.  I was able to do this as the box is slightly recessed inside and I felt that it gave some depth to the finished project.

I started the outside of the box by giving it a couple of coats of Gesso as a base to add the colour.  I used my Ink Dusters to gently colour the box using Purple Twilight ink. I then used a Tim Holtz Flourish stencil around the base of the box and dusted over it again with Adirondack Eggplant.  

As I've gone for a 'Spring' theme, made some flowers using my Delicate Aster dies and them painted them yellow as a contrast to the purple.  I added some ready made roses and leaves and I used some white Heather to match the lace around the heart.  I chose to use this key as it also has heart shapes on it and I coloured it with gold with gilding wax.

As this is something I've been meaning to do for ages, I'm thrilled with the outcome and I hope that the Design Team at 'Try it on Tuesday' will be too.

Enjoy your day x


21 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful box with very beautiful work on the top and just right for the theme

    Thank you for being our guest designer

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to have you as our GDT Sandra! I love this stamp too, so to see it as part of your fabulous transformation of your sewing box has made me smile this morning! I love those asters too - something for the wish list!! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a gorgeous altered box. The fresh spring colours, details and images are fantastic inspiration for our theme. Thank you so much for being our Guest Designer this time.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an amazing project! Great to have you as a guestdesigner at TioT!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful alteration Sandra! Soo glad you are our GD over at Try it on Tuesday this time. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandra! A lovely box with gorgeous details! The new look is really beautiful.
    Thank you for being our Guest Designer for this challenge.
    Mar xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The is BEAUTIFUL Sandra, so very pretty and again the colours of purple and yellow go together so very well (I'll have to have a go!). Congratulations on your guest designer post. This has been beautifully done with love and is truly beautiful Sandra - well done you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huge congratulations Sandra on having your card picked as a top choice of the year. That really is very special. Congratulations too on being invited to become part of the Design team.
    I love the way you have enhanced your box. It really is a work of art and the colours are gorgeous. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Barb. My card was picked as the choice for January 16, not top choice of the year but I'm still thrilled that they liked it. Hugs, Sandra x

      Delete
  9. A great alteration Sandra, I love this stamp and it looks fabulous in those colours with the pretty flowers.
    Lovely to have you as our Guest Designer for this challenge.
    Hugs, Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your box is amazing, Sandra!! I love the stamp you used and the details!! The colors, the flowers, everything is spectacular!! Congrats on your guest design spot and spotlight!! Both so deserved!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sandra,
    firstly congrats on you work being recognised and you being aske to GD.
    I am not surprised as your work is outstanding and very superb too.
    Love this wonderful box you have created it's super gorgeous, and your design as usual is ace.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on you work being recognized and you being asked to GD Sandra,
    you do amazing work.
    Love this gorgeous box you have created, beautiful colors and decoration.
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh these are so gorgeous!! What beautiful designs!
    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow such talent...amazing project. You've completely transformed the box in such a fabulous way. Congratulations too, so very well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is certainly worthy of being showcased, it is beautiful and I love your choice of spring colours..I love yellow and purple for spring...seems to remind me of Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oeps, must admitt I have a few boxes and stuff laying around to get pimped aswell...
    This one turned out so beautiful! Really fresh and bright looking! Hugs, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Sandra,the box ist fantastic. Beautiful design.
    Hugs Carola

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic box - and congrats on your GDT spot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a stunning box Sandra, I have the Paris stamp but rarely used it . You have coloured it so beautifully. Your flowers are so pretty too.Congratulations GDT how lovely. Have a good week.

    Hugs Babs x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my blog Your comments are very much appreciated :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...