I have a few new followers....... Leanne, Mary Cheryl, Maggie, Bobbie, Anne, Ria, Karen and Stephanie and I would like to 'Hello' to you all and thank you for joining me on my crafting journey. I have tried to find out if you all have blogs but without much success, so if you do have one, then please leave me a comment and let me know so that I can pay you a visit in return and update this post with a link.
Right then, moving onto crafty things :)
On my last visit to Inkylicious, Darren, Deby's husband was busy making lots of different projects with his new laser cutter and he was kind enough to give me an MDF Book Box that he'd just made. This post is to show you how my project progressed.
I'm really new to mixed media, having only done a couple of canvas' before, so the box sat in my craft room for a few weeks until I felt inspired enough to have a go at decorating it. So this is how the story goes:
This is the box as it was made and given to me by Darren, so the first thing that I did was to give it a coat of black acrylic paint. I don't have any Gesso, so I hoped that this would be okay and it was. It was a tube that wasn't very expensive that I had purchased from 'The Works' but it covered perfectly, without the need for a second coat.
The faux hinges, lock and clock stencil were given to my by Deby and Emma, so thank you to you both as I think they all worked beautifully together. It's the first time I've used the clock stencil and I made a batch of embossing paste to use with it to give the project some dimension. I've seen lots of clocks used on mixed media, so I thought i'd give it a go. The other pieces of white that you can see on the picture are Tim Holtz die cuts that I stuck on. The last thing that I did here was to add some braiding to the top and bottom of the box. This was something that I picked up in a charity shop years ago and it's the first time I've used it.
The next thing was to cover the whole project with a second coat of black acrylic. I think you can see it starting to take shape now :)
I then dabbed on various colours of acrylic paint and blended them slightly with a screwed up ball of cling film, and then with the flat part of my fingers. Di, if you're reading this it was......VERY, VERY MESSY. I think at this point that you just have to embrace the mess and release your inner child!
As I wanted a nice metallic look to the book, I then covered the colours with a bronze acrylic paint
.After letting the whole thing dry, I then used gold gilding wax to highlight the clock and all of the other part that you can see are gold. The frame inside the clock face ia an MDF shape that I painted with bronze acrylic and I stamped and Inkylicious sentiment on the inside of it.
Just the finishing touches to add now and so I made some roses which I covered with black acrylic and then used Cosmic Shimmer UTE powder on them whilst they were still wet. I added three coat of the embossing powder which left the roses rock hard. I was really pleased with the result at it means that the roses are much more robust than they would have been if I had just left them as they were. The black Ivy was made using a Memory Box Die.
So there is is, my mixed media book box. It does actually look much better in real life, unfortunately, the photo doesn't do it justice. I'm not sure I would have ever done something like this if I hadn't have been given the Book Box, so many thanks to Darren, Deby and Emma at Inkylicious for believing that I might do something wonderful with it.
Take good care of yourselves and Happy Crafting x